Monday, January 26, 2009

Homeschool Daily Focus



Reflections
Monday / January 26, 2009
aophomeschooling.com

"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God" (2 Corinthians 3:5).

As my eight-year-old son and I observed the craters on the moon for science class, his simple observation of the moon's reflection left a profound teaching on both our minds.

"Mom," he asked. "The moon really has no light of its own, does it?"

"No," I replied. "It simply reflects the light from the sun. If the sun was gone, the moon wouldn't shine either."

Thinking deeply, he looked at me and said, "That's the same way we would be without Jesus."

Amazed at his understanding of the two concepts, I answered, "Yes, that's right honey."

As homeschooling parents, we like to think that we are the ones who teach our children. But anyone who has homeschooled for more than a few years knows this fact-apart from Christ, we are totally inadequate to teach our children. No college degree, teaching certificate, or earthly intelligence can prepare you to teach your children the right lesson at the right time or how to incorporate into your lesson the true wisdom that comes from above. Like the moon without the sun, we have no understanding on our own to impart the truths that will forever change our children's lives.

However, the good news is that you have Christ, the "Light of the world" in you (John 9:5). Not only are you filled with His presence for teaching your children, but you also have the ability to reflect God's love to others by shining hope and encouragement into a very dark world. Just as Moses needed his shining face veiled after being with God (Exodus 34:29-35), your challenge as a homeschooling parent is to live in close obedience to God to reflect His light into your family and the world. "Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee. For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee" (Isaiah 60:1-2).

Lord, let me reflect Your love and wisdom as I homeschool my children. Reveal any sin in my heart that would block Your light from shining in my life. In Christ's name I pray, Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a song by Sara Groves that I absolutely love, called, "You are the Sun." The chorus says:

I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow on this cold, dark night
I know I'll never be a light unless I turn myself to You

Peggy said...

I admire your ability and discipline to homeschool! I don't think I could do it.

GraceFromHim said...

April.....I will have to look that song up. Thanks for sharing

Peggy.....
I never thought I would be able to either.....It is by God's grace for sure! If I can do it, you can dear sister.

Isabel said...

How beautiful it is when the kids come up with something like that. Well done on your homeschooling! You are so blessed.

Re your comment. We have lots and lots of sunshine. Of course we have rainy days in winter. This one in particular has been generous! On rainy days we hang our the laundry in the laundry room. I can squeeze 3 loads in there!

You are most welcome to vist!!