Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Easily Offended?



My oldest Austen has been struggling lately with some things. I have noticed a change in his countenance. I talked with him yesterday about what he was struggling with. He started telling me about being discouraged because of what others had said about him. There were some not so nice things said to him, but I knew I needed to try and get him to re-direct his thoughts. There are times in our lives where others will say hurtful things, sometimes they may be true and other times they may not. But I believe satan really likes to stir those thought and have us believe we are worthless and incapable. I also think that the messenger may have not meant it the way it was perceived. I struggle in this area as well. I tend to always think there is a hidden motive in peoples comments? As my son shared his dilemma, I gave him these verses.
2 Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;


Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

For me there is never a day I can't uses these truths God gives me. This is a battle for many of us. I am a sensitive person. I would like to think I am not easily offended, but in reality, I struggle. The Bible tells us 'Great peace have they which love thy law and nothing shall offend them.' This opportunity was great to be able to share with my son how we can battle this stronghold in our life. What is our thinking process? So we gauge our thoughts by Philippians 4:8?
As we battle with this,

1) let's first take our thoughts into captivity.......as 2 Corinthians tells us to do.

2) Then we must gauge that thought by asking these questions.........Is is true? Is it honest?
Is it just? Is it pure? Is it lovely? Is it of good report?
3)Third, if those above attributes are not true, then we must disguard that thought.
4) Lastly, pray .

3 comments:

Tonya said...

Wow, the Lord allowed you to miss that note and led me to check out your blog today. I am grateful for your response to your son (i love bring my children to word as well) and your words actually encouraged me today...sometimes I have mixed, sensitive feelings regarding having a child in treatment for cancer. Thanks and blessings to you.

GraceFromHim said...

Praise The Lord!!!

(((Tonya)))
Oh dear sister, my heart is burdened for what God is allowing you to go through. I am praying for you. I can't imagine but I know God does, he is our hope and our strength. May you find comfort in our Lord and Savior today. I do know this, your testimony has impacted my life. It was just by chance I came upon your blog. I was moved that day to tears. This verse came to mind.....
Psalm 94:18, 19
((((Hugs)))))

Cathryn said...

Well, I feel like I've been reading about myself. I know I can wear my feelings on my shirt sleeved. We southerns are known for that. A good post. Blessings - Cathryn