Monday, March 3, 2014

Sunday Sermon-Street Corner Doxology 1 Peter 1:3-5


Exile IV Title: Street Corner Doxology Date: 3.2.14 Text: 1 Peter 1:3­5 
Main Idea: At the intersection of faith and hope comes worship.
Introduction:
Our text today leads us to a Street Corner Doxology. "A doxology is a hymn of praise. The word comes from the Greek doxa, which refers
to glory that is ascribed to God, because it belongs eternally and intrinsically to Him."
"All sound theology must begin and end with doxology." G.C. Berkouwer
READ 1 Peter 1:3a­b
1) God's mercy pursues us. (3a)
Romans 3:10­12, 23 as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one."...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
"The doctrine of original sin teaches that every single human being who ever was, is, or shall be inherited from Adam a sinful nature that makes us predisposed to wickedness and rebellion against God." Kevin DeYoung Why We Love The Church
Romans 9:16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.
READ 1 Peter 1:3c
2) God's grace regenerates us.
READ 1 Peter 1:4a
3) God's Son redeems us. 1 Corinthians 15:3­42
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
"The means of our new birth is not first the message of the resurrection; it is the fact of the resurrection. When Christ rose he secured our salvation." Edmund Clowney
Romans 10:9: ...if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
READ 1 Peter 1:4
4) God's plan assures us.
R.C. Sproul: "People today believe in the universal fatherhood of God and the universal brotherhood of man. In biblical categories God, naturally speaking, is the Father of One...Scripture tells us that by nature we are children of wrath...so we must never take for granted the privilege of speaking of God as "Father.""
Romans 8:16­17
The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs­ heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
READ 1 Peter 1:5a
5) God's power guards us.
READ 1 Peter 1:5b
6) God's glory awaits us.
Revelation 21:1­6, 10­11, 22­27 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." And he who
was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment...and [he] showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal... And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, and its gates will never be shut by day­ and there will be no night there. They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Main Idea: At the intersection of faith and hope comes worship.
Conclusion:
Next Steps:
I want to put my faith in Jesus as my Savior. I want to surrender to him and be saved from my sins. I want my hope to come alive. I want to transfer it from someone/something else to Jesus today.
This week my prayers are going to shift from asking things of God to praising God daily. I am going to respond by praying with others that I would move from another intersection to faith/hope.
I am going to pray for To Be The Church this week. I am going to fast for To Be The Church this week. I am going to give toward To Be The Church this month (March). I want to volunteer to help build for To Be The Church.

No comments: