These messages may be copied in their entirety to help Christians in the rearing of their children for God, strengthening their family, and their marriage. They are not to be changed in any manner or to be sold. This header must be on any copy. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the author.
"A consistent daily quiet time eliminates 95% of temptations!"
Imagine that you've been invited to meet with the President of the United States in the Oval Office. You'd likely look forward to your appointment with great excitement. Now imagine that someone much more exciting - the God of the universe - wants to meet with you personally. This scenario is true; God really does want to meet with you, and He wants to do so every single day through a private quiet time alone.
I have had the privilege of traveling and teaching for several years, training good lay-people in local churches to start "How To Have A Daily Time With God" and have a real relationship with Him. I never teach on "How To Have A Daily Time With God" without seeing many tears. I sense hearts being turned towards Him. I get e-mails and phone calls all the time from people who say "God changed my life" after reading "How To Have A Daily Time With God". However, I wonder how many started having a daily time with God and stopped? I wonder how many more started but now, just hurry up, to "get it done"? They are mechanically going through the motions and failing spiritually. They are not really hearing God. Romans 10:17, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Hebrews 11:6, “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” So, my friend if you are not hearing from God daily (listening and being taught by the Holy Spirit) you cannot have faith and therefore, you will not be able to please God. In essence, many poor choices and destruction will come to your life. Proverbs 13:13, “Whoso despiseth (does not give proper attention to) the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.”
Writing in a notebook allows the individual to review their thoughts, moments of clarity, and assists them in developing Spirit-led insight. Writing in the notebook is a very powerful tool to keep one in the reality of HIM. I often teach how the notebook, when approached properly, will give you a "fresh" awareness of God's presence in your life. Have you had one lately?
Those appointments with God should be a source of great joy for you. But unfortunately, quiet times can sometimes seem too intimidating to schedule or maintain regularly. The devil always wants us to believe we are to busy, too stressed, or we are okay with out it (lie). Here are some ways you can enjoy your appointments with God; I can promise you they will be more enjoyable than with any President:
* Seek God Himself rather than anything He might give you. Know that God will meet you where you are and reveal much about Himself to you if you're sincerely seeking Him, Hebrews 11:6.
* Listen carefully for God's voice, which you'll recognize better and better the more time you spend with Him. Wait expectantly in silence for a while for the Holy Spirit to speak. Resist the outside pressure from Satan and listen for the inside persuasion from God.
* Write down your thoughts, feelings, and prayers in the notebook during your quiet time to more clearly express them. Read through your notebook often. I find that God speaks to my heart again when I review my note book.
* Think about how much God loves you, and expect to be blessed as a result of spending time with Him. View your quiet times as cherished meetings with someone you love.
* Realize that the more time you spend with God, the greater the intimacy you'll develop with Him. Although the idea of a daily quiet time might seem awkward at first because you might not know what to say or how to recognize God's voice; after a while, you'll look forward to the appointment because it will be like meeting with your best friend.
* Read the "How To Have A Daily Time With God" booklet again. Please note the booklet “How To Have A Daily Time With God” is available in the catalog section of our web site atwww.fortheloveofthefamily.com. I promise you there are parts you have forgotten. This will refresh your look at the things you are looking for in your daily time.
* Set aside a consistent time every day to meet with God. Choose a time at which you're most alert and can block out distractions. I believe God always ask us for the "first." He made it plain to give him the first fruits of our income, the first day of the week, etc. Many times, the mentors from the pages of God's Word spoke of the first part of the day.
* Designate a special place in which you can meet privately with God. The place can be either indoors or outdoors, such as a home office, bed room, favorite chair, or in the woods. I suggest you have several places, as to eliminate all excuses. If you are traveling, look for a place as soon as you are at the location you will be sleeping. Prepare to go there when you awake.
Remember: the best evidence of the value of a Quiet Time is remembering the day you skipped it. When you skip it once it can then become more days and you start to spiritually spiral down and make emotion led decisions (directed by Satan) that are not God's will. It only then gets worse not better and temptations become stronger not weaker. The decisions I make during these times will ultimately lead to destruction, Proverbs 13:13. The notebook does not lie; it tells me when I am failing in my spiritual life.
If you are a parent, look at your children. Do they have a consistent daily quiet time with God? Do you have their heart? Don't allow yourself to be emotionally manipulated by your children. Your goal as a parent is to get their heart and teach them to have a real relationship with God. Anything else and you are failing spiritually as a parent. Poor decisions are made in the home of emotion led parent's and children that lead to the children growing up and being someone who does not handle life spiritually and wisely. They do not have a heart for God. Remember up to 80 percent of all children who grow up in an independent Baptist home do not go on to serve God. Why? Because they do not have a real relationship with God and they and their parents are led by their emotions (Satanically fueled). I believe the reason for this is the parents do not have a real relationship with God, so therefore the children do not.
A wise parent helps their children "Have A Daily Time With God" and checks their notebook often. A wise parent realizes the most important thing for themselves and their children is a "REAL", Intimate, personal and passionate relationship with God.
Galatians 6:7-8, Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall reap corruption (destruction); but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Nothing ever spiritual and good is accomplished by "going our own way."